Chill Finance DIrector
Chill inspires youth through boardsports and builds a more equitable outdoor community.
Chill programs pair core values with the excitement of learning snowboarding, skateboarding, surfing, and paddleboarding in a supportive community that promotes personal growth and having fun. We work to make the boardsport and outdoor sports community more diverse, inclusive, and equitable, and to foster a sense of belonging among all Chill participants.
We are committed to building and supporting an inclusive team, and we strongly believe that diversity and inclusion are critical for fulfilling our mission. We will prioritize filling this leadership position with qualified candidates who reflect our youth with diverse and intersecting identities, including and not limited to race, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion and socio-economic background.
Description: Chill is seeking an adaptable leader who has proven nonprofit finance experience and excels at stakeholder management to be our Finance Director. The Finance Director reports to the CEO, is a member of the Senior Leadership Team, and is responsible for overseeing Chill’s financial operations to promote the organization’s financial health. The Finance Director manages the Chill Finance Manager. The Finance Director manages the Chill Finance Manager.
This position is year-round, salaried/exempt, 40 hours/week. The salary range for this role is $85,000-$95,000. Actual compensation will vary based on various factors including but not limited to experience.
Chill’s generous benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), company paid life insurance, flex spending, company paid short- and long-term disability insurance, parental benefits, access to an employee assistance program, 401k plan with Burton match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, a casual work environment and more. The position is remote, but candidates must live in the United States. Candidates who are based near Burlington Vermont will have the option to work from a dedicated space at the Chill headquarters office.
• Accounting: Lead on all accounting functions using QuickBooks Online, including: accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash receipts, general ledger, month and fiscal year end reconciliation processes, and pulling transaction reports. Collaborate with Burton for processing payroll and all inter-company transfers.
• Financial management and reporting: Create, analyze and present monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements. Monitor cash flow and keep the CEO, SLT, and Board aware of the organization's financial health. Ensure compliance and tracking of restricted donor gifts and support grant financial reports.
• Audit/taxes: Coordinate and complete the annual audit and tax returns in collaboration with external auditors.
• Budget: Create and facilitate the organization’s annual budgeting process and quarterly forecasts.
• Financial monitoring: Manage banking relationships, cash flow, AR, and the organization’s short and long-term investments. Ensure proper reconciliation of banking and investment account statements.
• Strategy: Serve as key partner for CEO in assessing the financial health of the organization. Analyze financial implications of strategic decisions under consideration and provide recommendations.
• Systems: Ensure key accounting systems are functioning successfully and explore further integration of finances among Chill operations in US, Canada, Europe, Japan and Australia.
• Processes: Ensure adherence to proper accounting methods, policies, and principles; develop a finance department policy and procedure manual.
• Leadership: Work with the CEO and Senior Leadership Team (SLT) to shape strategy and support implementation. Serve as the staff liaison on the Board’s Finance Committee and participate in all Board meetings as SLT member.
• Management: Coach and support the Chill Finance Manager, responsible for invoices, North American credit cards, expense reimbursements, basic banking transactions and payment systems, staff inquiries and assistance, and state and other charitable registrations.
• Compliance: Ensure compliance with federal and state registration and reporting requirements across US, Canada. Coordinate with local staff in Europe, Japan and Australia to ensure compliance.
Qualifications and Experience: The successful candidate will possess strong accounting and financial management skills, a growth mindset, and a passion for the mission of the Chill Foundation.
Specific requirements include: • Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration
• CPA or CFA is highly preferred
• 7+ years’ experience in finance and accounting, preferably in nonprofit sector, is required. International nonprofit finance experience a plus.
• Demonstrated commitment to advancing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
• Strong leadership and organizational skills; exemplary attention to detail
• Ability to communicate financial concepts/terms orally and in writing, in simple language to effectively collaborate across departments and with Board of Directors.
• Excellent relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
• Experience integrating IT, banking, and financial systems
• This position is in a typical, stationary, remote home office setting; a shared office at Chill’s Burlington Vermont headquarters will be offered to candidates who reside in the Burlington area, however no relocation services will not be provided.
Please upload your resume and cover letter to apply for this position. A cover letter is required for your application.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $85,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $95,000.00