SunOpta Inc. is a leader in the plant-based foods and beverages, fruit-based foods and beverages, and organic ingredient sourcing industries. SunOpta is focused on sustainability and specializes in the sourcing, processing, and packaging of organic, conventional, non-GMO food products.
SunOpta is looking for talented individuals that demonstrate our most valued behaviors: Passion, Dedication, Speed, Entrepreneurship, Customer-Centricity, and Problem-Solver, to help create a brighter, healthier, and sustainable future of food!
This position directs all Production Department activities to achieve continuous, efficient operations within the parameters of plant and company policies, goals, and objectives. Manages department to produce the lowest cost, highest quality products in a safe, clean, and sustainable operating environment.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Directs the manufacture of products at lowest cost consistent with quality/quantity standards; develops and implements methods of achieving plant goals within established parameters of waste, OEE/Efficiency, and budgeted staffing levels.
- Lead daily communications with staff to plan for multi-line 24/7 operations and establish priorities; coordinates department activities with inter-related plant operations to ensure optimum production and utilization of labor, machines, and equipment.
- Consults with Maintenance Manager to coordinate efforts and develop action plans for the proper maintenance of machines, equipment, and facilities; utilizes knowledge and technical expertise to advise on persistent problems and major breakdowns; serves as primary liaison between Production, Engineering and Maintenance throughout planning, design, and installation phases of capital/improvement projects.
- Enforces quality and safety standards throughout the Production Department and ensures good housekeeping practices are maintained; reviews consumer complaints with staff and oversees adherence to proper recall procedures.
- Participates in the development of new products and product lines; coordinates plant and packaging trials with R&D resources, other applicable departments, customers, and vendors; initiates capital spending recommendations to support future growth and profitability of Plant Operations.
- Coordinates with all plant departments as required to provide advice and recommendations on production related matters; maintains effective communications and working relationships and resolves any conflicts arising between operating groups or staff units.
- Directs Production Department cost functions including budgets, daily variances, waste, and downtime; reviews standards with Production Manager and Shift Supervisors and submits revisions as appropriate; works with Cost Department to identify and correct problems reporting, manning and efficiencies; oversees preparation and maintenance of required reports, cost estimates and forecasts.
- Participates in the development of current and long-term programs, plans and strategies in support of Plant objectives; assist Plant Manager in formulating policies and goals covering operations, personnel, financial performance, and growth; assumes responsibilities of Plant Manager during absences.
- Authorizes recruitment, termination, and promotion of employees; determines standards of behavior and ensures disciplinary procedures are carried out consistently, according to company policies; coordinates any manning or operational changes with plant leadership team and participates directly in personnel/industrial relations activities.
- Provides leadership, direction, and support to production team to stimulate maximum efficiency and productivity of both supervisors and production workers
- Ensures that all Production Department activities are carried out in compliance with Local, State and Federal regulations governing business operations.
- Provide leadership and direction to subordinates; completes performance and personal development evaluations; reviews and recommends training and development requirements and programs; recommends salary adjustments; conducts information sessions with staff.
- Responsible for promoting food safety and employee safety throughout the organization.
- Production Manager
- Continuous Improvement Manager
- Production Supervisors (4)
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) or equivalent from four-year college or technical school
- Five+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- High or Low Acid Aseptic Manufacturing Experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to use critical thinking to plan and problem-solve.
- Previous TPM/LEAN Continuous Improvement experience preferred.
- 5+ years of successful Production management.
- Solid understanding of manufacturing financials, labor management and OEE/MUV Productivity KPI’s.
- Travel Expectation: Minimal
- Location: This position will be at the Plant in Allentown, PA
- Work Environment: Majority of work is performed in an office / plant environment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
- Job Family Operations
- Job Function First-line manager
- Pay Type Salary
- Employment Indicator Regular
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Allentown Facility, 7108 Daniels Drive, Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States of America