Senior QA Manager
SunOpta Inc. is a leader in the plant-based foods and beverages, fruit-based foods and beverages, and organic ingredient sourcing industries. SunOpta is focused on sustainability and specializes in the sourcing, processing, and packaging of organic, conventional, non-GMO food products.
SunOpta is looking for talented individuals that demonstrate our most valued behaviors: Passion, Dedication, Speed, Entrepreneurship, Customer-Centricity, and Problem-Solver, to help create a brighter, healthier, and sustainable future of food!
SunOpta is seeking a Senior Quality Assurance (QA) Manager for the SunOpta Midlothian, TX Beverage/Aseptic manufacturing facility.
The Senior QA Manager is responsible for developing and managing the plant quality assurance programs to meet/exceed all regulatory and Food Safety/Quality requirements, customer expectations, and compliance to all GFSI standards.
This position will provide leadership to develop initiatives to improve plant performance against SunOpta quality measures resulting in reduced non-conforming product/customer complaints as well as leading/supporting continuous improvement activities.
The position will actively manage/mentor Quality Assurance personnel, be a member of the plant leadership team, and act as the primary liaison with Corporate Quality, customers, and external regulatory agencies.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Leads with integrity, respect, teamwork, and equity in all aspects of the job including dealing with employees, customers, suppliers, and regulatory agencies.
- Provide proactive guidance to assure that adequate controls, programs, and organizational structure is in place to comply with all Food Safety, Regulatory, customer, and GFSI requirements.
- Primary Plant contact for regulatory agencies, auditors, and customers.
- Develop, implement, and maintain Food Safety and Quality SOP’s, Food Safety Plan/HACCP, Food Defense/Intentional Adulteration, GMP’s, Pest Prevention, Allergen Control, Environmental Monitoring Plan, Good Laboratory Practices, Traceability, Recall, as well as other food safety/quality programs as applicable.
- Develop Environmental Monitoring Plan and ensure appropriate activities occur, results are reported in a timely manner, and direct any escalation tasks as appropriate.
- Manage and coach quality team members to ensure individual goals are understood and that robust development plans are in place.
- Ensure QA Supervisor is adequately trained, developed, and equipped to execute essential duties as well as implement and verify analytical testing and procedures are executed to provide statistically significant results for the safe manufacture of products.
- Manage microbiological technicians and ensure appropriate training, practices and technique are understood.
- Ensure that a robust training program is implemented to include GFSI requirements, Food Safety, and SunOpta Quality Programs.
- Provide technical expertise to all site departments inclusive of regulatory, quality and food safety, continuous process improvement, and product development.
- Provide leadership across other Aseptic sites and/or with corporate initiatives.
- Provide oversight for all product/equipment/line commercialization including updates to Food Safety and Quality programs.
- Accountable for compliance to the Control on Non-Conforming Program as well as timely disposition of HELD product.
- Coordinate resolution of all quality management issues; this includes reporting on KPI's, corrective action plans, analytical/microbiological issues, and held inventory disposition.
- Provide subject matter expertise in corrective/corrective action (CAPA) and Preventive Action activities.
- Responsible for evaluation and resolution of customer/consumer product quality issues and reporting to Corporate QA team.
- Ensure all quality related information required for regulatory reviews and reporting is maintained by the plant.
- All other duties, as assigned.
- Directly manages employees in the QA department including but not limited to:
- QA Supervisors
- Micro Technicians
- Record Reviewers
- Sanitation support
- Responsible for the overall support, coordination, and evaluation of all QA staff.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry, Food Science/Technology, or related field.
- 7-10 years of experience in a food manufacturing environment.
- Minimum of 5 years in a QA leadership role.
- Preventive Controls (PCQI), Food Defense (FDQI)
- Bilingual in Spanish is beneficial.
- SQF Practitioner.
- Experience with Oracle, Intelex, SharePoint.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Candidate must possess a strong working knowledge of Food Safety, i.e.: development/maintenance of Food Safety Plans/HACCP, FSMA requirements, Food Defense, GMP’s, sanitary design and controls, local/state/federal food regulations and food technology.
- Experience leading Design/Installation/Production Qualification (DQ/IQ/PQ) processes.
- Knowledge of Continuous Improvement and Statistical Process Control practices are required.
- Outstanding verbal, written, multi-tasking and presentation skills.
- Ability to create momentum and foster organizational change.
- Travel Expectation: Up to 10% to other facilities as needed for training opportunities.
- Location: This role will be based at the SunOpta Beverage/Aseptic Midlothian, TX facility.
- Work Environment: Approximately 60% of work is performed in an office/laboratory environment; 40% of work involves being in manufacturing / production environment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
- Job Family Quality Assurance
- Job Function First-line manager
- Pay Type Salary
- Employment Indicator Regular
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Midlothian Facility, 4126 Power Way, Midlothian, Texas, United States of America