Operations Material Handler - Downline/Takeaway
SunOpta Inc. is a leader in the plant-based foods and beverages, fruit-based foods and beverages, and organic ingredient sourcing industries. SunOpta is focused on sustainability and specializes in the sourcing, processing, and packaging of organic, conventional, non-GMO food products.
SunOpta is looking for talented individuals that demonstrate our most valued behaviors: Passion, Dedication, Speed, Entrepreneurship, Customer-Centricity, and Problem-Solver, to help create a brighter, healthier, and sustainable future of food!
This position is responsible for all functions relating to operating the palletizing equipment and forklift used to package aseptic beverage finished products as well as cleaning (CIP) and sanitizing.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Operate all energized and non-energized forklift and palletizing equipment.
- Monitors and fixes faults as well as clearing any material jams in palletizing robot.
- Pick and load outbound trucks as per paperwork.
- Unload and put away inbound trucks.
- Monitor raw packaging material and supplies to ensure it is supplied in an efficient manner to support production.
- Maintain ingredients and material on a First In, First Out basis (FIFO).
- Perform routine maintenance as directed on all forklift and palletizing equipment. Document in written form parts needed to be ordered.
- Relieve other production team members for breaks and absences as required.
- Maintain clean and organized area around equipment.
- Troubleshoot and resolve basic to moderate operating difficulties involving area equipment.
- Complete inspections of all critical parameters.
- Must be able to work independently as well as professionally with all other team members.
- Completes all required paperwork in a neat & professional manner.
- Proficient and comfortable using a computer.
- Performs a variety of quality and food safety checks to ensure standards and specifications are met.
- Communicate with all other facility personnel regarding any delays or problems that would hinder production.
- Must follow all employee safety, food safety and quality procedures and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs).
- Responsible for proper shift handoff with incoming/outgoing operators.
- Must wear all required PPE, such as protective gloves, aprons, face shields and safety glasses.
- Leadership and ownership of the department, job responsibilities and job function.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Forklift Certification
- Able to keep operating logs and records
- Able to read manuals and problem-solve
- Able to climb off and on forklifts on a regular basis
- A desire to succeed and good work ethics are required
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- High energy, flexible, self-starter, hands-on, comfortable with little or no administrative support.
- Attention to detail is a must.
- Team player with a sense of urgency and a self-accountability mentality.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates degree or higher preferred; or two years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Preferably at least one year’s experience in food manufacturing.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Candidate must possess the knowledge and understanding of basic math skills including weight calculations, averages, and percentages.
- Must be able to read and write in English.
- This position will be at the Plant in Allentown, PA.
- Relocation or international remote working arrangements (outside of the US) will not be considered.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Approximately 100% of the work is performed in a manufacturing facility which is not climate controlled and may contain allergens.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds, climb stairs and stand for long periods of time.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
- Job Family Operations
- Job Function Non-manager
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Regular
- Required Education High School
- Allentown Facility, 7108 Daniels Drive, Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States of America