Filler Operator I
SunOpta Inc. is a leader in the plant-based foods and beverages, fruit-based foods and beverages, and organic ingredient sourcing industries. SunOpta is focused on sustainability and specializes in the sourcing, processing, and packaging of organic, conventional, non-GMO food products.
SunOpta is looking for talented individuals that demonstrate our most valued behaviors: Passion, Dedication, Speed, Entrepreneurship, Customer-Centricity, and Problem-Solver, to help create a brighter, healthier, and sustainable future of food!
Summary: (Basic Knowledge – 90 Days)
This position is responsible for operations of filling machines and machines associated with the fillers. Ensure the quality and efficiency standards are being met through reduced scrap loss and yield improvements. Follow written and verbal procedures to ensure quality and efficiency standards are being met. Assume responsibility for the filling area efficiencies, safety, quality following all GMP and PPE requirements for the safety of others and oneself. Effectively communicates verbal and written information relevant to the position at the site.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate, Set-up, CIP, Swap Testing, Monitor and Operate the filling machines to maximize the quality of products produced and the efficiency of the department.
- Maintain a clean and organized working area keeping all supplies and materials stocked and set-up for success when the next shift comes in to relieve you.
- Perform routine maintenance on all filling machines including working with and communicating with Maintenance and Management
- Relieve other production team members for breaks and absences as required
- Perform a variety of quality checks (weight checks, machine checks, sterility checks, package integrity checks) to assure standards are met
- Troubleshoot and resolve basic to moderate operating difficulties involving area equipment
- Accurately prepares and completes all area paperwork with legible handwriting as required by the FDA.
- Work with Management team to monitor the operational efficiencies, yields, scrap loss and other key indicators to actively seek ways to improve plant productivity.
- Must maintain Audit readiness in your work area at all times
- Follows all plant safety rules
- Reports all accidents to the production supervisor
- Adheres to all Quality Assurance System guidelines
- Follows SOP’s (standard operating procedures) to make machine adjustments, splice packaging material, and prepare laminate to insure the manufacturing of high-quality packages
- Responsible for compliance with the HACCP and SQF program
- Identifies all critical control points understanding their functions as it relates to the filling process.
- Responsible for accurate documentation
- Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Assists all areas of the plant with general housekeeping.
- Cooperates with other shifts and the management team in the housekeeping endeavor.
- As a member of the Production team, ensures the effective shift communication and teamwork with the other operators occurs each scheduled shift.
- Maintains effective communication with members of the support group.
- Communicate, Communicate, and Communicate.
Teamwork and Training
- Promotes and contributes to the development of a strong team.
- Works among co-workers as a team.
- Personal Development
- Continuously improve your knowledge of the aseptic filling area.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Must be able to stand (12) hours for long periods of time and lift up to 30 pounds frequently and push/pull pallet jacks and lifts with heavy loads frequently
- Must be able to go up and down stairways in a timely manner repeatedly throughout the shift
- Must be able to keep a good attendance record
- Must have accurate and detailed record keeping and legible handwriting
- Must be able to troubleshoot and resolve moderate to complex issues
- Understands all procedures with all allergens.
- Must follow all GMP's and Safety Procedures established by Management
- Ability to access a situation and make quick and accurate decisions that will aid in production.
- Must have good personal hygiene
- Must have basic math skills
- Mechanical and troubleshooting skills
- Must be able to work around major allergens
- Must be able to climb/walk steps frequently
- Work (12) hours as required as well as any overtime that may be scheduled when additional coverage is needed.
High school diploma or equivalent required.
Entry level – willing to train
Knowledge and Skills:
Working knowledge of business, computer and math, preferred. The candidate must be able to work effectively in a team-based environment, set priorities to meet deadlines, handle multiple tasks, and make decisions under pressure.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to wet and / or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places and extreme heat.The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
A 24/7 36/48-hour work week will be considered normal.Extra hours, off hours, and extra workdays may be required to accommodate new projects, product development, and other special situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally sit, lift, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds regularly and up to 75 pounds occasionally. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, grasp, type; reach with hands and arms; lean, crouch, stoop, kneel, or crawl; climb up and down ladders or stairs. The employee is required to stand and walk. The employee is required to climb and operate a three-story machine several times per hour.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Job Family Operations
- Job Function Non-manager
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required No
- Modesto Facility, 555 Mariposa Road, Modesto, California, United States of America