Seasonal Lab Technician 1
The Seasonal Lab Technician 1 reports to the Quality Supervisor and is responsible for performing non-routine / routine chemical / physical analysis, tests required for quality control, research, and development purposes for the evaluation of raw ingredients, and products and processes. Assists in compiling, analyzing, and interpreting results. This is a seasonal position for the harvest season, appx. August through October/November. Ideal candidates will have either previous wet lab experience in a similar industry, and/or a degree involving heavy lab work (Enology, Chemistry, Food Science, etc.)
- Performs wine quality analysis pertaining to grape maturity, White and Red juice analysis, fermentation tracking, press analysis, monthly QC, barrel monitoring, cellar / aging operations, and storage.
- Ensures accurate operations of all laboratory equipment / instrumentation such as Y15, Alcolyzer, spectrophotometers, pH meters, aeration-oxidation, cash stills, etc. Ability to troubleshoot when necessary to ensure accurate results.
- Additions and preparation of yeast and yeast nutrients to tanks and barrels.
- Performs non-routine and routine analysis utilizing appropriate distillation, titrimetric, colorimetric, and instrumental methods as required.
- Operates laboratory instruments such as a refractometer, balances, turbidity meters, and other instruments as required to perform duties.
- Maintains and calibrates analytical instruments in the laboratory in optimum operation condition. Work directly with suppliers' technical staff to resolve maintenance issues. Recommend new equipment and assists in selecting suppliers and appropriate accessories for proposed equipment.
- Maintains and calibrates analytical instruments in the laboratory in optimum operation condition.
- Understands the proper use and preparation of standardized chemical solutions used in the laboratory. Ability to perform preparations when needed.
- Executes data collection, analysis, and reporting of monthly analysis on Inventory of wines held in cellar. Accurately report analysis and flag possible issues.
- Validates methods and equipment using a range of analytical techniques and instrumentation.
- As needed, run Test Stand and pull samples from top of tanks at high heights up to 30 feet.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Must be 18 years or older at time of hire.
- BS in Enology, Chemistry, Food Science or related field or equivalent of 5 years industry experience
- Previous winery experience desired but we will consider training the right person.
- Good working and theoretical knowledge of analytical instrumentation
- Ability to work in an environment that has changing priorities and multiple projects.
- Proficient in the following computer applications: Microsoft Word, Excel, VA, and ability to learn new programs.
- Excellent organizational & interpersonal skills with attention to detail
- Ability to set priorities and work independently within set guidelines.
- Strong knowledge of production / manufacturing operations
- Provide good verbal and written communications to all levels of management, both internally and externally
- Must be willing and able to work at high heights up to 30 feet.
- Prioritize while able to adapt to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated reliability and punctuality, work effectively in team / crew environment, adherence to all safety regulations and operating procedures.
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry weights of up to 50 pounds at varying frequencies.
- Working environment is both indoors and outdoors, with exposure to related equipment and noise levels.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, standing, and twisting in the lab and production environment.
- Occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Hiring Hourly Rate Posted: $19.50/hr
At The Wine Group, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to an environment of mutual respect, diversity and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristic protected by law.
- Job Family Winery Operations
- Job Function Operations
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Seasonal
- Hiring Rate $19.50
- The Wine Group, 22004 Road 24, Madera, California, United States of America